"Fitness gives us a way to escape from the pressure and stress of living the city life. I strive to bring together a positive, upbeat and driven group of people. We journey to find ourselves by pushing our physical limits. My training relates to the theory found in the yoga principle of "the edge". Along the path of finding ourselves, exploring our limits and testing our abilities, we find moments when we are able to surpass our own limitations and find our personal "edge". By discovering our boundaries, we learn to discover ourselves."

09 February 2010

And so begins my blog... Sprung from my itch to get out, speak to the masses, share my world of exercise and fitness, share what I've learned about this "lifestyle" while at the same time, hopefully acquiring more knowledge from the input of others. My approach is to try everything once, but never twice unless I'm going to enjoy the experience. The wonderful thing about living fit, is that everyone has their own identity. No one way, no matter how tried and true it may be will work for everyBODY. Through living the life, you begin to create your own strategies for what the textbooks will define as "wellness". As far as I remember, and this is back to your basic health class in grade school, we all live on different points along a spectrum. At one end, is your optimal wellness and at the other is illness or pre-death. Now, do I preach this to my clients? "OK, 30 min of cardio a day, you don't want to end up on the pre-death end of the spectrum?" Not likely. But, a thought.... My point being that, as elementary as this spectrum thing may be, I've always appreciated the clarity of the message which it sends. You make choices everyday of your life, that affect your mind, body and spirit. Those choices, no matter who you are, and what you do, (example: a marathon runner who gets out of bed at 5am to train, or a 75 yr old grandmother who walks the stairs instead of the elevator) those decisions are either improving your life or taking away from the wellness you could have. In my profession, I see it all. I'll share the right and the wrong. Sometimes very wrong. Like all the fads, crash diets, pills, celebrity endorsements, 60 sec workouts, the lady working out in her g-sting bodysuit w leggings and leg warmers in 2010, hot lazer rubs that melt fat, , shock muscle stimulation, shoes that tone your legs, vibrating platforms that promise 6-packs, resolutions that end after one session, trainers eating Snickers while checking their blackberry and admiring their bicep reflections in the mirror.... (this list is a blog in itself). More to come. And so ends my first blog!!

1 comment: