"Fitness gives us a way to escape from the pressure and stress of living the city life. I strive to bring together a positive, upbeat and driven group of people. We journey to find ourselves by pushing our physical limits. My training relates to the theory found in the yoga principle of "the edge". Along the path of finding ourselves, exploring our limits and testing our abilities, we find moments when we are able to surpass our own limitations and find our personal "edge". By discovering our boundaries, we learn to discover ourselves."

10 February 2010

Today I learned a lesson in blog posting. Think/calm your thoughts before ranting to your friends, family and anonymous internet readers. Had I not been ravenously hungry and forced to stop and eat after yoga, I would have fumed the whole walk home, then gone straight to the computer to spill my thoughts/strong opinions of my 105 degree and 40% humidity experience.

Let's go back. Today was the touchdown of the much anticipated "blizzard" that is storming the east coast. My first thoughts slushing to meet my 6am client were about the pros and cons of continuing my routine of a nice run outside during the afternoon. At some point, I decided that a snowstorm was a valid excuse to skip my run and hunkered down, giddy w anticipation of sweats and slippers. Hours later I realize I've been inside too long, and nothing would be more satisfying on this damp and freezing day then a session of the always challenging, detoxifying and best of all HOT Bikram yoga.

JASMINES QUICK SUMMARY OF BIKRAM:
Bikram Choudhury created his own style of yoga, this was in the past few decades, that is a synthesis of traditional yoga techniques. Class is 90min, 26 postures, 2 breathing exercises, always in the same sequence no matter who teaches or where you practice his style. Always performed in a hot room, because theoretically the heat provides deeper stretching and less chance of injury.

Now, I've taken many a yoga class, Bikram specifically I find myself coming back to. I enjoy the familiar sequence of Bikram, its wonderfully balanced and pushes every muscle in your body. I would recommend trying it more than once, and appreciate the mental exercise you encounter through practice. A lot of moments, in my mind I consider that it is just as well to give say 50% instead of 100%, but discover that even if no one else will know, by not allowing myself to hold back I have just grown that much more powerful inside myself (and let us not discredit the little things).

Today, I signed up for my 7 day introductory pass at Bikram Yoga Union Square. After class, lets just say I would not be returning, except I paid now, and yoga class isn't cheap. I think there is a larger lesson here than my personal experience tonight, with many themes. After some thought, I've decided to take the high road. For now. In 6 more days, I 'll let you know what I REALLY think!!

My favorite experience from a NYC Bikram studio was at Bikram Yoga NYC, Upper East Side location. They do a 7 day intro for $23. Link to their site:


http://www.bikramyoganyc.com/default.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment