"Fitness gives us a way to escape from the pressure and stress of living the city life. I strive to bring together a positive, upbeat and driven group of people. We journey to find ourselves by pushing our physical limits. My training relates to the theory found in the yoga principle of "the edge". Along the path of finding ourselves, exploring our limits and testing our abilities, we find moments when we are able to surpass our own limitations and find our personal "edge". By discovering our boundaries, we learn to discover ourselves."

25 February 2010

Since leaving my job at Equinox in December, I have also left behind the days of working out in a gym. Somewhere along the way, I got very burnt out on the gym setting... So for 3 months now, I have worked out in a gym only twice, and I am in better shape than ever. Currently, I'm experimenting with all the "try it for a week for cheap" places near Union Square, since its a 10 minute walk there. This gives me a great opportunity to spread the word about places that I find along the way. Today will be day 3 of a week long trial membership to Yoga Vida (12th and University). This studio's trial week is following my trial of Bikram Union Square and the sequence couldn't have been planned better. If Bikram is an intensely bright, sunny day of yoga then Yoga Vida is the calm, restorative night. Neither is better or worse, just a different experience of yoga. If you would like to have an experience that lets you experiment and improvise I would recommend Yoga Vida. Bikram would be for those who crave structure and intensity. Yoga Vida demands that you set your own bar, Bikram demands you reach a bar set at very high level. I love the workout from both, but I lean slightly towards Vida.

Reason: I believe that a large part of yoga should be internal as well as physical. I feel more fulfilled leaving a class when I help to shape my own session. I enjoy being able to try something new one day or conquer an old and familar position w fresh integrity another day. There are so many parts of my day that are out of my control, I want yoga to be one thing I have power over.

Try Yoga Vida, they do a 7 day trial for $10. Hilaria does a awesome ab session the last few minutes of the class that I didn't see coming.

Yoga Vida's website

No comments:

Post a Comment