"Fitness gives us a way to escape from the pressure and stress of living the city life. I strive to bring together a positive, upbeat and driven group of people. We journey to find ourselves by pushing our physical limits. My training relates to the theory found in the yoga principle of "the edge". Along the path of finding ourselves, exploring our limits and testing our abilities, we find moments when we are able to surpass our own limitations and find our personal "edge". By discovering our boundaries, we learn to discover ourselves."

25 March 2010

To live fitness as a a lifestyle, we must always be open to new ways of moving our body for our wellness. I recently decided to try a dance movement class with my boyfriend's mother Paule. I have no dance background, but was open to a group class that was outside of my comfort zone.

The instructor was fun and bubbly, and right away made me feel comfortable in a somewhat alien environment. We begun with slow hip figure eights, adding arm swings and head rolls. At first I was SUPER self-aware, wondering if I looked as inexperienced as I felt. I scanned to room to realize that this group of ladies, all decades ahead of me, and maybe not as fit and spry, were far more experienced in something I can only describe as a carefree confidence. As soon as I accepted that this was not about the exterior experience, but more for my internal mind and body, I was gyrating, throwing my arms, rolling on the floor, sweating like a very graceful pig and SMILING!!!

This class was at Yoga West in Grand Junction, a place unfortunately most of you New Yorkers will be unable to experience. But, I would HIGHLY recommend to us all to step outside of your comfort zone and humble yourself every now and then. You will leave the experience with a different, and often neglected form of strength. This one is hard for me to put to words, b\c I have not come across in and text or class what it is. But try it, and help me to describe!!

Here is a link to a video about Dance Mvmt Therapy which I found super intriguing....

No comments:

Post a Comment