"Fitness gives us a way to escape from the pressure and stress of living the city life. I strive to bring together a positive, upbeat and driven group of people. We journey to find ourselves by pushing our physical limits. My training relates to the theory found in the yoga principle of "the edge". Along the path of finding ourselves, exploring our limits and testing our abilities, we find moments when we are able to surpass our own limitations and find our personal "edge". By discovering our boundaries, we learn to discover ourselves."

25 March 2010


While on vacation this week in Grand Junction, Colorado I have explored many outlets non-traditional to me for exercise. Yesterday Davram ,my boyfriend, took me on a scenic hike to the top of Liberty Cap which is on the Colorado National Monument.

I have never lived anywhere that was rural or mountainous enough to have access to mountain hiking. Growing up in NC, we went for backwoods hikes. Not comparable b/c they were of a fairly constant elevation (but still great exercise and lots of fun!!!) So here I am at the foot of the mountain, geared up in my hiking attire and boots, thinking "...I run the city back home in NY....super-fit personal trainer... just a walk up a big hill".

First 5 MINUTES IN!!!! I am panting, my heart is pounding, gasping for breath, black around the edges of my vision, yelling to Davram's back, phrases such as "Oh god!!....why so hard.... slow down and wait up!!" Yes Jasmine, welcome to high elevation. Grand Junction is 4597ft above sea level, whereas our lovely NYC is only high enough to not be underwater. Immediate effects of high elevation include hyperventilation, fluid loss, increase in heart rate, and slightly lowered stroke volume. Studies are divided on whether it increases athletic performance to train in higher elevations. Many athletes follow the practice of "Live-High, Train-Low" whereby the athlete spends many hours a day resting and sleeping at one (high) altitude, but performs a significant portion of their training, possibly all of it, at another (lower) altitude. Our own US Olympic training center is here in Colorado Springs.

My theory?? After making it to the top of that mountain, I understand firsthand the effects of elevation training. My body felt as though is was working as hard at a walking pace as it does during a run back home. But a question to all the mountain living folks - Have you ever tried to run and process oxygen from air filled with smog, car exhaust, secondhand smoke, too much old lady perfume, beggar BO and street meat stand smell?? Now that's tough conditioning!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment